About Woods

Woods' Staff February 2013

 

Woods Humane Society is a nonprofit organization which receives no tax funds, but is supported by donations, grants, bequests, fundraising events and fees for services. Woods is independent of the county Department of Animal Services, but works in close cooperation with them and other animal groups in the county for the welfare of all animals.

Our primary focus is as an adoption shelter where the public can find new companion animals to adopt and where animals can be placed when their owners are no longer able to care for them. Woods is extremely proud of the fact that last year 99% of the animals that came into the shelter have found new homes. Woods has spayed/neutered all animals before their adoption since 1993 and has provided spay/neuter services for Animal Services since 2009, thus preventing the unwanted births of hundreds of thousands of dogs and cats.

In addition to pet adoption, Woods offers dog obedience classes, humane education programs, summer camps, and volunteer opportunities for hundreds of people of all ages each year.

Our History:  Woods Humane Society was founded in July of 1955 as Woods Animal Shelter, Inc. It has been in continuous operation since then serving the needs of animals and their owners in San Luis Obispo  County. Its original location was in Nipomo on land donated by the Woods Family.

Woods moved to its former location on Broad Street in 1961 and added the office and cattery wings in 1981. During its first 20 years, Woods also served as the animal control agency for the County of San Luis Obispo. In 1975 Woods relinquished its contract for animal control and focused exclusively on being an adoption shelter for dogs and cats. In 1980 Woods changed its legal name from Woods Animal Shelter to Woods Humane Society, Inc.

In 1989 the County of San Luis Obispo purchased the Broad Street property from the Society because it sat in the “runway clear zone” for the county airport. Woods leased the property back from the County and continued to operate there for the next six years. In 1995 the Society purchased property located at Los Osos Valley Road and Clark Valley Road in Los Osos. For a multitude of reasons that site did not pan out and after much consideration it was sold.

In the years that followed Woods entered into a collaborative agreement with the County of San Luis Obispo and after a major capital campaign constructed the facility it calls home today. The new facility which opened in 2005 is 25,000 square feet, sits on 5-acres of land, has a free-roaming cattery, three K9 pods, seven K9 exercise yards, a state-of-the-art surgery center and a 1,300 square foot community room.



Opening Homes and Hearts to Homeless Pets
in San Luis Obispo County since 1955.