North County

Video by Tom Lott

Founded in 1977 by Atascadero residents Daphne Fahsing and Kate Johns as “Action for Animals’ Rights, the organization’s first goals were to address local animal over-population and homelessness. They began the first local spay/neuter program which worked so well they later received generous county funding to manage and distribute spay/neuter vouchers for that purpose.

In 1993 our first cat rescue and adoption center was opened in a store-front office in downtown Atascadero which included a shelter, general office and thrift store. Its first project was a hoarding case including almost 40 cats which were rescued, treated, and eventually adopted into new, loving homes.

Then in 1997 we purchased the famous Dome House on 3 acres north of town, and our rescue and adoption numbers soared with the addition of full-time staff and larger quarters.

Woods Humane Society and North County Humane Society (Action for Animal's Rights) officially joined together on January 1st, 2017. Please CLICK HERE for more information about our merger.



Opening Homes and Hearts to Homeless Pets
in San Luis Obispo County since 1955.